Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Life Lessons from Carly Simon...Sort of

Whoo hoo, two days in a row. Absolutely amazing! Maybe I will make a habit out of this blogging thing yet. And, since yesterday's topic was so deep, I thought I would lighten things up a little bit today. And exfoliate, and decrease the appearance of fine lines....Ah, but I am getting ahead of myself.
So, I was listening to my ipod the other day, and, what do you know, one of my favorite Carly Simon songs came on. I turned up "Nobody Does It Better," and thought about my favorite James Bond, Sean Connery. He was, and is, so cool...and distinguished. If I do say so myself. And as I was singing along, I wondered why I didn't become a spy. Now, don't start laughing, I'm serious. I mean, after all, when I was ten I used to spy on our across the street neighbor. All the neighborhood kids knew she was trying to kill us, primarily by poisoning those muffins she baked. I mean, who has heard of oat bran anyway??? Obviously, we had to find evidence to corroborate our "knowledge." We never did come up with any hard evidence, but we did get chased out of her driveway. Maybe that's why I didn't become a spy. Hmm...Well, if I wasn't cut out to be a spy, then I wondered why I couldn't have become a Bond girl.
As you may be aware, "Nobody Does It Better" is not a very long song. By the time all of these thoughts had run through my head, the song was nearly over. So, while I was still pondering my "promising" career as a Bond girl, a new song started. And wouldn't you know it, it was "You're So Vain." Isn't that ironic, as Alanis Morissette would say. (And George, if that is not an appropriate use of irony, keep it to yourself--wink, wink).
Now for an important message from your sponsor: On the very slim chance that there is anyone out there reading this blog entry that doesn't know me, I want to tell you that I really don't think I could have had a career as a Bond Girl. Miss Moneypenny, maybe. I am a decent typist. But a Bond girl, not so much. And to the two of you who read this that do know me, I think you know me well enough to know I'm joking. (But not about being a spy, OK?) Because, after all, I am a realist. No one is going to mistake me for Jane Seymour or Halle Berry any time soon. And come on, let's face it, my name is not nearly cool enough!
Now back to your regularly scheduled blog entry: So, I was singing along to "You're So Vain," and I realized I still needed to use the remainder of a spa gift certificate George got me for my birthday last year. Hmm, what should I use it for? A microdermabrasion or a peel? A facial or a massage? I manicure or a pedicure? I thought to myself, maybe I just need a spa day, complete with all of the above. Vain, who, me? Maybe, but I prefer to think of it as preventative medicine--wink, wink. After all, I'm not getting any younger. And, you just never know when they will be casting for the next James Bond movie....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always thought i'd have been a great movie star! (minus the acting ha!) Preferably one of Charlie's angels.