Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Confessions of a Hippie

So, you may know that my parents were hippies. Real, live hippies. Hippies who loved music. I grew up listening to all the music from the 60s--Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, the Stones, the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Dylan, the Dead...You get the idea. I loved that music. I loved that era. I wanted to live in the 60s, and I desperately wanted to be a hippie. Well, at least what my idea of a hippie was. So, for a while, I became one. (Somewhere after my acid washed jeans and my leisure suit phases). I had long hair, patchwork skirts, Birkenstocks, and all the hemp accessories one girl could ever want. And, even though I eventually stopped dressing like a hippie (primarily because those skirts do not look good on post-baby hips), I still have a soft spot in my heart for hippies. And, I'm fairly certain I could still play a mean hacky sack.


Anyway, you may be wondering why I am taking a trip down memory lane for you. Well, I just got done watching both days of American Idol from this week. (All I have to say is thank God for DVR!) I love that show, and, I definitely have my favorite contestants. Right now I'm totally diggin' Jason Castro. He, and his dreads, are totally cool, dude. He reminds me of every hippie boy I ever knew. And, I'm loving it! If you haven't checked him out on the show, you should. Not only is he awesome, but he also has a really unique voice. And, in the interim I'll try to find some pictures of my hippie stage for you. At the very least they will be amusing.

No comments: