Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I'm Going to Get You Isaac Newton...

Those of you who know me well, know that I am a total nerd. I love to learn, and I always have. I loved school (and would go back and stay forever if I could), and there wasn't any class I didn't like. Except for P.E. Well, I guess I did like the tinikling unit, but I digress. The point is that I loved learning about all things, and science was no exception. I particularly enjoyed physics. (Don't make fun of me, and please don't reach through the computer to give me a wedgie...Please). But, I haven't really thought about physics since college. That's why I found it very unexpected when a physics theory popped in my head after my prayer time last night. But, I should have realized that God can teach us things in many different ways, even through physics.
So, this is how it all went down. I crawled into bed last night feeling a little down about some things going on in my life. There are many I could discuss, but this one is perhaps the least embarrassing. (And, after yesterday's post, that is probably appropriate.) I have had really good intentions since, oh, January 1st, of starting a diet and exercise plan. So, here it is, nearly the end of March, and to date, I haven't done much to speak of with regard to either of those things. The closest thing I have done is watch the Biggest Loser, which is what I did last night. And, I cried when the contestants started weighing in. (Just so you know, I blame the crying entirely on PMS.) Anyway, later that night, as I was lying in bed, I started whining (yes, I do believe that whining is the correct verb) to God about these things that I am down about. I kept telling Him, "I don't know what is wrong with me. Why can't I get it together? I pray about these things, but nothing ever happens. What is wrong with me? All these other people out there have everything together. They are dieting and exercising. What is my problem?" And, do you want to know what the response I received to my, albeit whiny, inquiries was?
Isaac Newton.
Say, what??? Isaac Newton? What does he have to do with anything??? Fig Newtons, maybe, but Isaac Newton? I don't get it???
And, then I started thinking about it. "Isaac Newton? What did he do? Well, there was that thing with the apple. You know, the law of gravity. Could that be it? No, I don't think so." And, then it hit me; kinda like Newton's apple ;) Newton's First Law of Motion, or, the law of inertia.
In its simplest form, the law of inertia states that a body at rest tends to remain at rest, and a body in motion tends to remain in motion. But, the actual Newtonian definition of inertia is much more interesting. According to that definition, inertia is "a power of resisting, by which every body, as much as in it lies, endeavors to preserve in its present state, whether it be of rest, or of moving uniformly forward in a right line." (emphasis mine.) (And, I want to let you all know that I did have to look up the definition of inertia. I didn't have it memorized.) Hmm. Interesting.
And, then I started to recognize what God was trying to tell me. (At least what I think He was trying to tell me. Work with me here ;) That is me. In my fallen state, I am inert. My "flesh woman" is fighting with all her power. And, unfortunately, she has a lot of it. Primarily due to all her extra pounds. But, again, I digress. The point is, she is resisting and endeavoring to preserve in her present state. (Which unfortunately involves eating leftover Easter candy while watching the Biggest Loser and crying. So sad.)
The bottom line is that in my fallen state, I am a body at rest. And due to flesh woman's inertia, I will always be at rest. Well, that is, unless I am acted upon by an unbalanced force. Like, um, a push in the right direction by a Divine Hand! So, what I believe God was trying to tell me was that my "good intentions" will never be good enough to overcome my inertia. And, I can try, try, try all I want to "get it together", but in my own power, it ain't never gonna happen. The only way I can change from being a body at rest to being a body in motion is through God's unbalanced power. In other words, I've been looking at these issues from the wrong perspective. Instead of whining to God about how I should be able to do this, and why isn't he letting ME do this. I need to ask God to give me a Divine push in the right direction. Because with God's power I can be a body in motion. (Ha, ha. Get it ; Even though I think that this applies to more than my exercise issues.) And, as long as I have God's power, I can remain a body in motion. But, God must work through me, and not me through Him. Awesome. Isaac Newton. Who would have thought he had anything to do with me? Isn't God amazing!
So, I'm going to ask God for that divine push in the right direction. Starting with the ability to move toward the TV to turn off the Biggest Loser. I mean, after all, we all know that show is nothing more than Satan's pawn *wink wink*. But, seriously, I am going to ask God to give me a Divine kick in the backside. One that miraculously ends with me standing on my treadmill!
And, if you haven't been geeked out enough by today's post. Here are a couple of factoids to chew on. 1) Inertia comes from the Latin word for laziness. Who, me, lazy? And, 2) In addition to being a scientist, Isaac Newton was also a theologian who believed that God could be seen in all things, including science. Interesting, isn't it?
Well, in the words of Bugs Bunny, that's all folks. But, if you come back tomorrow, we'll tackle Einstein's theory of relativity. Just kidding. But, I am going to go straighten my pocket protector. *wink*.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to put down the Easter candy to type this. One of satan's favorite lies is that everyone else has it all together. NO ONE has it all together...if they say they do, they're lying. If you want to try "moving" I challenge you to do butt squeezes during book club. We could all do it! Instead of calling it Read it and Reap, we'll rename it Read it and Squeeze it. Ha!

Anonymous said...

I am doing my butt squeezes as I type. I have come to find out that if you think someone has it all together, then you dont really know them that well.
I am still learning this but God is showing me that all I have to do is say YES I will obey that still small voice, when I do this he provides the ability to accomplish all that He has asked me to do. Like stairs I say yes and He moves me up.

Anonymous said...

An Isaac Newton post warms my geeky heart. Heather is so smart. Watch out for falling apples!