Monday, February 11, 2008

The Power of Girlfriends

I am in a much better mood than I was the last time I posted. And, I'm in a good mood despite the fact that it is Monday, PTL! I have no doubt that my positive mood is a direct result of the time I got to spend with my girlfriends last night. They are five truly amazing, wonderful women, and I am so blessed to have each of them in my life.
As I look back over my life, I realize that God has blessed me over and over again by bringing wonderful girlfriends into my life. I still clearly recall when I met my first girlfriend, Randee. I was three and she was five. Randee was riding her bicycle up and down our street. When she stopped at the bottom of the hill, I ran up to her and said, "Hi, I'm Heather. Do you want to be my friend?" It was the start of a wonderful friendship.
I remember having great friends in elementary school, in junior high and high school. I was surrounded by my girlfriends, and we did everything together. I even made some of my best friends in college and law school, but soon it all changed. I don't exactly know how, when or why it happened, but at some point I lost touch with my girlfriends. I could blame it on many things, but primarily I have no one but myself to blame. I became wrapped up in myself. I was too concerned about my career track. I thought there would always be time for everything else, later. Unfortunately, it took my father's death to teach me that later doesn't always come. We are only here on this earth for a moment, and I had lost sight of that fact for a long time.
Since my dad died, I've made a conscious effort to reconnect with my girlfriends. What I didn't realize, however, is how much harder it is to make connections with people later in life. Fear prevents you (and by you, I mean me. Maybe someone else can relate?) from saying, "Hi, I'm Heather. Do you want to be my friend?" And, life is hard. You just have more responsibilities than you did when you were 3, 13, or even 23.
Some times I have had success reconnecting, and sometimes I haven't. Most of my girlfriends have moved away and are scattered all over the country. It's hard to stay connected when there are so many miles between you. But, I have come to truly believe that it is worth the effort.
And God is faithful. Not only has he allowed me to reconnect with my girlfriends who live far away from me, but he has also blessed me by bringing some terrific women into my life. Women who are wonderfully different from me. Women who are unique and awesome! These are the girlfriends I had the absolute privilege of spending time with last night. My friendships with them are just beginning, but I hope that they continue for many, many years. I have so much I can learn from each of them. So, to Shana, Jodi, Sarah, Julie, and Melissa. I love you all, and I am blessed to call each of you my friend!

No comments: