Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In the Words of Kindergarten Cop...

It's not a tumor. Well, at least they're pretty sure it's not a tumor, but more about that later.


First, I want to thank all of you who have checked up on me the last few days. You have no idea how much it means to me that you are thinking about me and praying for me. I told George last night that I have the best girlfriends in the entire world, and I truly do mean that! Each one of you is such a blessing to me.


And, I have to tell you, I hate being out of touch with what is going on with you. While I've been in my drug induced, comatose state, I know I've missed so much. And, I am so behind on things it's not even funny. I've been carrying around cards in my purse for weeks that I haven't mailed yet. I owe people birthday presents and care packages that I haven't had time to put together. I haven't even sent out W's birthday invitations for his party with his friends. I guess I'll have to make phone calls to all the parents. Oh well, I guess life goes on, right? I really don't mean to complain. I know that there are a lot worse things going on out there than my inability to get birthday invitations in the mail. I just really want you all to know that I am thinking about you and praying for you, and if I owe you something in the mail, please know it will be forthcoming...sometime.


Now for my health update. I'll try to make it short because I'm tired of talking about it. Ha! But, I really would appreciate your prayers, so here goes. I went to the neurologist yesterday. I really liked him. He seemed very competent and was very nice to me. Anyway, he doesn't think my migraines are causing my severe headaches. He doesn't think that I have a brain tumor or cancer, PTL, but he is testing me for those anyway. I go tomorrow morning for a CT angiogram of the blood vessels in my brain, and I go one week from today to have an MRI done. Instead of being a real tumor, my neurologist thinks I have a pseudotumor cerebri. I guess that means that my symptoms mimic those of a brain tumor, but there is actually no tumor present. Instead, my body is producing too much cerebrospinal fluid which is causing my spinal column to swell. It is also causing me to have too much cerebrospinal fluid around my brain. That, in turn, is causing pressure, which is causing my headaches. There are two different types of pseudotumors, one responds well to treatment and the other does not. If treatment doesn't work, pseudotumors can cause blindness. Assuming the CT angiogram, MRI, and blood work all come back negative, ruling out a real tumor or cancer, this is probably what is wrong with me. My doctor will order a spinal tap to confirm the diagnosis and relieve some of the pressure in my spine. The he will have to determine what is causing my body to overproduce cerebrospinal fluid, and my treatment will depend on the cause.


So, anyway, if you happen to think of me tomorrow morning, or any time in the next several days, I would appreciate your prayers. I am still in severe pain most of the time. Until they rule out cancer and brain tumors, they can't give me anything different for the pain. So, I'm basically in limbo, not knowing how well I will be able to function day-to-day until then. I know I can count on you to pray for me, and like I said earlier, that means the world to me. You are all fabulous women, and each of you have been such a blessing to me. I love you all.

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Heather - how scary! I will be praying, praying, praying over you. God is the great physician and the great healer. I pray they can find it and it won't be serious and it will be treatable and you will get relief soon.
I'm so sorry. I know you scared you must be.

Meredith said...

Heather, even though most of us bloggers live far away from each other, I know that we are always there for one another. I will definitely be praying for you!!! God is with you ALWAYS! Remember that!

Heather said...

I am praying, praying, praying! And I cracked up at the kindergarten cop line.....we ALWAYS say that in my family...trying to imitate the Arnold accent.

Jenna said...

Praying for you Heather!!!

petrii said...

Girl you know that I'm praying like crazy!!!!!

I love you dear one!!
Hang in there!!
Lovin' you like crazy!!! Dawn

Caroline said...

PRAYING AND EXPECT AN UPDATE ASAP!!!! LOVE YOU FRIEND!!!!

Heidi Zawisza said...

Girl, you got it! Praying away......Let us know when you can!

Megan L Hutchings said...

Sweet Heather...I am giving you a BIG HUG right now! I know you must be scacred right now, but please find some comfort in the prayers we are sending your way!

Stephanie said...

Heather, I am so sorry for all your pain! I am praying for you even now so that you will be feel any kind of relief and I'm praying for wisdom and insight for your doctors...I hope you can get some rest for your body and your mind. Praying for the peace that passes all understanding to guard your heart and mind Heather.

Anonymous said...

Hey you cant leave us hanging!!! You have obligations here sister! I need to know if my prayers are working so I can start asking for the good stuff. No, seriously we need info!!!!!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the update! I've been wondering about you. I HATE the unknown! I will be praying for you over the next few days of testing etc! Right now I am praying specifically for relief for you until they determine the cause!

Love you!

Heather said...

Heather- just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and praying for you today!
Love ya girl!