It's official. School's out for the summer. W. had his last day of fifth grade yesterday. I seriously cannot believe that he will be in the sixth grade next year. He keeps getting older and older, and I guess that means I do, too. On some days I feel like I'm getting older, but on other days I don't. Does anyone know what I mean? I mean, when I was younger, I don't think I ever pictured myself being any older than 21, and even though I am older than that now, a lot of days I don't feel like it. Anybody else?
Anyway, like I said W. out of school for the summer. He's already living the life of leisure. He didn't roll out of bed until 9:45 this morning. Nice. From now on he'll be swimming, bowling, and hanging out with his friends almost every day. But, I don't think he should have all the summer fun. So, I have been brainstorming ways I can feel like I am on summer vacation, too. So, here's what I came up with so far.
1. I could wear my sunglasses all day in my office. You know, pretend the florescent lights are really the sun. (Potential problems. The people I work with might think that I have a hangover or that I've gone blind. Either way that could cause problems...)
2. I could buy a bunch of those little drink swords, put a couple cherries on them, and put them in my cups of coffee. (Potential problems. I think the little swords would be smaller than my giganto coffee cup. They might, therefore, be a choking hazard. I wonder if the little umbrellas would work better?)
3. I could get an ice cream cone or a cherry coke (or both) from the pharmacy near my office. You see, one of the longest, locally owned pharmacies is near my office. That's really not all that exciting (unless you like to shop local, like I do), until you realize that they have a SODA FOUNTAIN!! Not only do they have homemade ice cream that is to die for, they also make real cherry cokes. You know REAL cherry cokes with lots of syrup and stuff. YUM!!! (Potential problems. I would have to find a way to unchain myself from my desk, and if I managed to get that accomplished, I would have to push my way through the throng of junior high kids who hang at at the soda fountain every day. Well, until they learn not to mess with the old lady and her ice cream cone...)
4. I could come to work dressed in beach gear. You know, swimsuit, cover-up, flip flops, a big straw hat, and, of course, sunscreen, including a big, white stripe of it down my nose. (Potential problems. I don't think that qualifies at courtroom appropriate attire. Maybe if I wore high heels instead of flip flops?)
5. OK, if I couldn't come completely decked out in beach gear, maybe I could at least wear floaties on my arms. (Potential problems. I'm not sure I would get past courthouse security, and that could be bad. Very, very bad...)
Alright, it looks like I'm striking out here. What are you going to do to get into the summer fun? Do you have any ideas for me?